Friday, August 29, 2008

Bayou Bound, Baby!!



Make no mistake--

Family Samuels gives our ALL for Appalachian State

--which is why we're flying directly into the path of a (possible) category 3-5 hurricane to see our Apps play!! Brian and I checked in to our flight, so it's official--we are now BATON ROUGE BOUND!

As of 12:43 a.m., everything is still on for the game, eventhough there is plenty of talk of evacuating New Orleans and reversing most of the freeway lanes so that all roads lead out!

We're staying in New Orleans Friday night and then Baton Rouge Saturday night. Currently, our plan is to drive from Baton Rouge (against contraflow, if possible--thank God that Brian has the Interstate System memorized [no, I'm not kidding] and after a few short hours of studying, he's also a pro at the federal and local roads around NO and BR) back to New Orleans to make it back to the airport to fly out Sunday night. If we can't physically get back to New Orleans or if all flights are grounded, then we'll turn north and drive home in our lovely rental cars...which, I'm sure, will make a helluva story!!


We definitely want to fly home if we can, but we're also not (completely!) stupid, so we'll just have to make the decision if we can fly on the fly.

I am totally ready (and pumped!) for the game though!! LSU has issued three different press releases since Wednesday and all have emphasized that the game is still on at the appointed time (5 p.m. EDT on ESPN).

I was able to get all of my stuff into one carry-on duffle bag and a "briefcase-y" personal item. And between my bag and Brian's (also a duffle bag), we were able to get all our 3 oz. or smaller cosmetic liquids into two quart-size ziplock bags (because, as I'm sure you know, terrorists with concealer always flock to hurricane zones)!! I'm taking my work computer, so I may be able to blog while we're down there. Packing was really easy...basically, if it says "App" it's in my bag.

I have five Appalachian t-shirts (two black, one gray, and two gold) and two App. hats; oh, and my older, black Appalachian sleep t-shirt. In case of an emergency, I'm also taking my Jimmy Buffett "Fins" shirt because when there's a hurricane, the best thing you can do is summon Jimmy Buffett!!!! I am also thoroughly prepared with 3 whole granola bars...which, with 6 of us, will sustain us for about 45 minutes.

You can track the storm below with the following picture. It's a live link to the National Hurricane Center's official five-day forecast and it will auto-update as the NHC does it's three-hourly updates.


Our flight from RDU to CLT leaves at 11:20 a.m. EDT and then the flight from CLT to MSY should arrive in New Orleans at 2:07 p.m. CDT. The rest of the family is going from New Bern->Charlotte->New Orleans and will arrive later Friday night.

On Sunday night, we're supposed to leave New Orleans at 6:20 p.m. CDT and arrive in CLT at 9:15 p.m. and then land in Raleigh at 11:23 p.m.

I'l check in as time and Internet access allows!!

Catch y'all on the flip side!

GO APP!

FIGHT APP!

KICK ASS!!

No comments: