Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The fan is still winning.

Brian/Laura - 4
Fan(s) - 2
Laura's Car - 1

Yup. Still no functioning fan in one of the guest rooms. Yesterday morning, Chris from Centex came by and tested the current in our ceiling wires and confirmed that they're definitely working. So last night, Brian went back to Lowe's with our fan motor in tow to exchange it out. When he got back, we went upstairs to install and the fan still wouldn't work (the light, however, is still shining brightly). So then it dawned on me (Physics 208 at NCSU is finally worth something, other than a B-) that all of the wiring had to come through the fan motor and down into the light, so maybe something was weird in the light casing. So Brian took it down and sure enough there were two wires coming out of the fan-pull-chain-box that were unhooked. We tried a little bit to fix it, but decided that it was fruitless. So, when he gets home from work, Brian will be heading back to Lowe's to replace the light. Maybe this time it will work; I'm kinda still betting that the fan wins.

This morning I woke up with a very wonderful surprise. My passenger's side front tire was so unbelieveably flat it wasn't even close to having a picoLiter of air left. I have no idea what happened, but I'm betting that I ran over some type of nail, because there's so much construction going on in our cul-de-sac. So I went upstairs and woke up Brian (lucky me!) to have him help me assess the situation :-) We decided that I needed new tires anyway, so we called up Just Tires and told them that we would be coming in shortly and then we called AAA and they said they'd send a tow truck. AAA actually arrived in about 45 minutes, which we thought was quite good, and then I spent the rest of the morning (a 1/2 day of "vacation" from work) reading the paper and two Pottery Barn catalogs at Just Tires. Of course, it also turns out that I was due for an oil change (which I was planning to do this weekend) and my alignment was out of wack (which Brian and I were discussing last weekend). So, for $575, I now have excellent alignment, 4 phenomenal tires, and new oil.

We decided that it probably wasn't wise for us to cheapout on tires for my car considering I drive 60 miles/day roundtrip to work, all on the Interstate, so we ended up with slightly nicer tires than we would have normally bought.

I have the absolute worst luck ever with flat tires. Ever since I started college, I've had, literally, 7 or 8 flat tires (about 1/year). I really don't get it. Whatever. I'm just very thankful that it happened in our driveway and not on the Beltline or I-40.

No comments: