Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Gatsby provides commentary on the election

At approximately 11 p.m. EST on November 4, 2008, Brit Hume on Fox News called the state of California for Barack Obama and confirmed that Obama was the winner of the election.

Simultaneously, in a single family home in a suburban neighborhood in Knightdale, N.C., Gatsby LeBlanc, 11 months, peed directly in front of the television.

After further review, we have determined that LeBlanc has a red collar and, therefore, is, indeed, a Republican.

***

On a related note, why is Obama considered president-elect right now? Technically, he can't be president-elect until the Electoral College votes in December. It's weird to me that the media has no problem using president-elect now, but only used presumptive nominee between the end of the primaries and the conventions. Why the difference?

I have to say, I always feel revived and refreshed around election time. We are very fortunate to live in a republic and have the option to pick our leaders and it's fascinating to me that this system has worked for hundreds of years. Our forefathers were pretty darn smart. I think it's also pretty awesome that the turnout was so good, especially for young voters. I hope that it continues into future elections.

Even though my team was red and didn't win (in, like, any race--feel free to e-mail me about how I feel about straight-party voting, I won't rant here!), I was very surprised about how I felt after the election was over. I don't particularly like his policies, but I do like Obama's personality and he's definitely a skilled rhetorician. I'm hopeful that he will do a good job and make our country a better place and I hope the media holds him accountable for his campaign promises.

Regardless of what happens, it will certainly be an adventure for the next four years!

No comments: