Sunday, June 7, 2009

A lovely weekend for all...and a Thursday morning from the depths of hell...

Brian, Gatsby, and I had a really nice, relaxing weekend.

On Friday after work, Brian went out to dinner with his parents and Grandma to the Texas Roadhouse in Wake Forest (his favorite restaurant of all time), while I trekked out to Durham to go to happy hour at my boss's house. It was a casual shin dig with lots of good conversation and food!! (I love homemade guacamole!)

Saturday morning, we were all up around 9:45 a.m. and just kinda chilled around until noon when we all went back to bed and had a 2 hour nap! :-D It was fantastic!! After we woke up, we had about an hour or so until our good friends Robbie and Sara and their daughter, Katie (almost 2), came over. They were in town for a high school reunion and stopped by for a few hours. Katie is absolutely adorable! She had fun walking around our house and finding (the few) toy-like things that we had around. Brian was incredibly jealous that Katie wanted me to "help" feed her dinner!!! ;-) (Point, Laura!)

Gatsby was way-too excited about Katie being here and ended up spending a lot of time hanging out solo in our bedroom.

After the Borkas headed out, we went to Milton's for dinner and then I coerced Brian to go with me to Walmart to buy some t-shirts--my App. ones are all way to big now :-)/:-( And then we went go to see Angels & Demons, which was quite good. I had forgotten most of the book, so it was fun to not remember everything that was going to happen. We didn't get back home until way late and didn't make it to bed until probably 2 a.m. ...

... which explains why we didn't wake up until noon:15 today!!! (It was awesome!) We did some house things in the early afternoon and then went to Bonefish Grill in North Hills for an early birthday dinner for Brian's dad. Happy Birthday, Mike!

Since we've been home from dinner, we've pretty much just been hanging out playing with Gatsby and watching TV. We're quite pleased that the new seasons of "Next Food Network Star" and "Ice Road Truckers" have started!

I also have to tell y'all about my super-traumatic experience. Two Thursdays ago, I set off around 7:15 a.m. on my way to work (much like I do every Thursday). Usually, this is a very enjoyable experience because I'm happy to know that I don't have to make the drive for 3 more days! Well, on this fateful Thursday, I got on US 64 and all I could think was, "what is that putrid smell?" and then I saw it...

... a truck full of live pigs heading west to their ultimate demise.

It was horrible.

They were all squeezed in so tightly with their little pig snouts hanging out the little breathing holes.

And I immediately burst out into tears (admittedly, I was rather hormonal, but it was uncontrollable).

So, I hurried up to pass the pig truck (and hopefully stop crying) and then my lane stopped and then I played pass and get passed by the pig truck for the next 45 minutes until exit 273B on I-40. Yes, this truck went all the way from Knightdale, onto the Beltline, and then out Wade Avenue to I-40 to Durham with me.

It was horrible.

I, literally, cried for 45 straight minutes.

So, I know that in another post, I had previously mentioned the idea of going vegetarian, which I've been thinking about, and this pretty much helped me make my decision.

I contemplated becoming pescetarian (only eating fish), but I don't think I'm ready to completely cut out chicken from my diet. (I have no desire to cut fish out.) But I am going to try to completely eliminate all mammals from my diet. I'm not sure if it will be a forever-change, but it's definitely something that I want to try.

The pig truck was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Interestingly, I was telling this story to my work friends on Friday night (three of whom are vegetarians) and my boss had almost the exact same experience a few years ago before she made a similar decision. I thought it was really fascinating that we both had a similar experience and made the same decision without ever discussing it previously...

No comments: