Tuesday, February 9, 2010

These streets will make you feel brand new | Saturday

OR POOR! ;-)

Saturday

Saturday was our shopping day!!! It was also supposed to snow 3-5 inches in the city. We shopped, but, thankfully, it didn't snow! In fact, we didn't see one single flake descend from the heavens the entire trip!!

We woke up Saturday morning, got ready, and headed to Fifth Avenue. We came up out of the subway right by Central Park and the Plaza. Very, very pretty and cool. We started out at the Apple Store, which is basically like every other Apple Store, except it's very I.M. Pei-like with the huge clear cube and an elevator descent into the store.

After Apple, we went to FAO Schwarz. Brian wasn't really psyched about the FAO until he realized that they have a huge, yummy candy section! ;-) I just loved walking through and looking at all the toys. It kinda made me wish that we had a kid to buy for, until I realized that we wouldn't be able to afford to go to NYC if we had a kid, so that feeling passed pretty quickly. ;-) While there, they were having a big sale on holiday-inspired Madame Alexander dolls (of which I have collected since I was a very wee tot!) so I was able to score a cute Raggedy Andy doll for $15! I would have rather had Raggedy Ann, but I guess all the other little girls in America would rather have Raggedy Ann too, so there weren't any left!

After FAO, we found the promised land: Tiffany & Co., Louis Vuitton, Prada, Gucci, and Saks. I found a beautiful pair of $1,200 boots in Gucci that Brian wouldn't let me get. He said something about it being comparable to a mortgage payment, but I didn't really hear him... After that, I was jaded. We walked into Nine West and those shoes looked like crap to me. Ironically, I was wearing shoes from Kohl's, so it's not like I'm really a big spender when it comes to shoes! It's amazing how when you see something that's made really, really well, the others just don't compare. It's probably a good thing that I didn't try them on because they were totally prĂȘt-a-porter and I was prĂȘt to porter them! :-D

We had lunch at a little grille in Trump Tower and it was INCREDIBLE. I had a smoked salmon salad and Brian had a BBQ brisket sandwich. Mad props to Mr. Trump!

After lunch, we hit up a five floor Nike store, Nintendo World, and American Girl Place. I just had to see AGP. All those little girls with their dolls were so cute! Brian's mouth actually dropped when I pointed out to him that the girls were taking their dolls to the "salon" to get the doll's hair styled. I would have been IN HEAVEN if I had been little. Callie would probably pee in her pants. (She still gets baby dolls for Christmas and has the whole American girl ensemble for Molly.) Our last purchase on Fifth Avenue was at Sephora. I got a nice, subtle lipgloss and bought Callie some BeneTint: Rose-tinted lip and cheek stain. I don't actually know what it is, but that's what she wanted. It looks like a vial of blood. Ironically, the Sephora is in the old Charles Scribner's Sons building, which was the publishing house of Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Wolfe, et al. Very cool!

After we were done shopping, we went to 30 Rock and took the elevator to the top. We saw some amazing views and then we eventually happened across the building of my company's NYC office, which was very exciting!

After that, we went back to the hotel and then headed out to Long Island for Brian's hockey game. During the game, I went to a mall and did some shopping (for items I could actually afford!) and I'm not going to lie: I was nervous as hell about driving to the mall by myself and not getting lost. Fortunately, driving on Long Island is nothing like driving in the city and our GPS was awesome. It pinpointed the exact gate where I dropped Brian off, so I was able to go back to the exact same place and it took me right to a parking deck in the mall.

It was success for all. I didn't get lost and the Hurricanes won! While at the mall, I was shopping for an outfit to wear out next weekend when I go visit my friends Shannon and Mandy in Charlotte. I found a very cute dress (in blue) at Express and then headed over to Victoria's Secret to get a strapless bra. While I was there, I FINALLY got around to get my bra fitting done that I'd been wanting to do for forever and I got a bra that I'd been thinking about getting: the BioFit 7-Way, which is very awesome. It's designed to be able to be worn with seven types of tops (strapless, classic, halter, one-strap, crisscross, v-front, and crossback). As you can see, very exciting! BTW, I totally look like the chick on that Web page when I put it on. It's THAT good. ;-) I also got a new body spray: Coconut Passion! Even Brian likes it!

After the game, I picked Brian up and we went to a diner on Long Island with two of Brian's roadgeek friends (Doug and Steve) who Brian ran into at the game. Our diner dinner was very good and the diner was really nice!

Afterward, we kinda wanted to drive around for a bit so we decided to drive over to New Jersey to get gas (which is a heck of a lot cheaper than gas in New York). As an added bonus, it's illegal to pump your own gas in NJ, so Brian didn't have to get out into the freezing cold! We also drove a lot around Manhattan--down to Grand Central Station and all over the place. It was like 1:30 in the morning, but you would have thought it was 9:30 at night! Fortunately, there wasn't much traffic, so it was a great time to drive around!

No comments: