Saturday, February 2, 2008

Quiet Week

This was a pretty quiet week on the house front. For the time being, all our paperwork is done. We did find out from the Centex sales agent that our property survey had been completed on Thursday, so we're expecting to see that in the mail in the next few days. That will be really cool because we should be able to find out if we'll have a traditional or reversed floor plan. All indications point toward a reversed plan, but it will be fun to know for sure. Brian and I drove out there Friday night after dinner to see if there had been any action, but alas there has not. I've also been scouring the Wake County real estate Web site to see if a building permit has been issued, but nothing yet.

We've been watching the interest rates pretty closely. That's the one super frustrating thing about building... With USAA, our rate lock period is 30 days prior to closing. We could lock 45 or 60 days out, but we'd have to pay extra. So anyway, I'm on an e-mail list that mails me the daily rates. I've been on the list since mid-December and, honestly, this whole rate lock thing is worse than gambling! It's really nerve-wracking to know the rates and know that they're changing, but be unable to lock ours in yet. Brian's mom told us that the lowdown in the mortgage world is that there's no way they'll go up before June, but it's still just an unknown at this point. In December, most rates were in the high 5s or very-low 6s. Now, they're pretty much in the low-to-mid 5s, which is fantastic, but I'd love to just lock it in and be done!!! I guess only time we'll tell.

The other thing we worked on this week was our moving plan. Yes, we have a moving plan. I am determined to reduce as much stress as possible, so I sat down a few weeks ago and listed out all the weeks between then and when we move. I came up with something manageable to accomplish each week, so that by our closing date everything will be packed, organized, and ready to move. Earlier this month, Brian and I attacked our guest closet, which was a daylong event. We completely gutted the closet and, basically, reduced it to a pile of about 20 items for keep. We then took a car load's worth of stuff to Goodwill and another car load's worth to the dump. This week we're filing paperwork and cleaning out our storage and coat closets, as well as some of the stuff on our deck. We have about 15 items to take to Goodwill tomorrow, but all of our closets look fantastic (well, except our bedroom closet)!!! Next week, we're tackling our closet and dresser drawers to get rid of not-used clothes. Basically, the first 10 weeks of the plan consist of organizing and cleaning out different things and then in the beginning of April, we'll start packing up things in boxes. It's nice to know that if we stick with this that we'll be in great shape at closing. I also just really like making spreadsheets. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I love charts and lists and plans, too! :)

Anonymous said...

You shoulda been a librarian!

Laura said...

I agree! Perhaps that will be my next degree. :-) (I've seriously thought about it...)