Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tuesday, thunder, sports, bar, Brian on the radio!

A Tuesday night chez LeBlanc...

...Brian is chillaxin on his Mac, recovering from his walk with the puppy.
...Laura is chillaxin on her PC, recovering from her run.
...Puppy is licking all the rest of the applesauce out of the container from my post-dinner snack.

I didn't have to tutor tonight and Brian left work right on time, so we were both home by 6 p.m. Because it was still pretty humid and there was a threat of thunderstorms, we decided to eat early and then go exercise afterward (typically, we prefer it the other way around...).

So I had pizza (NS Flatbread with cheese, added mushrooms, and a 4 slices of turkey pepperoni) and some steamed veggies.

Brian also had pizza (Lean Cuisine Deep Dish Three Meat Pizza) and some Mixed Berry Teeter yogurt.

(Gatsby had Purina One Healthy Puppy [not to be confused with his breakfast, or yesterday's dinner & breakfast, or pretty much every other meal he's had since late September] and a slice of turkey pepperoni.)

A lovely dinner for all!

Après dîner, we watched the radar until it was clear that the storms were not going to come to our house* and headed out to exercise.

* This is a lie.

At approximately 13:00 into my run, I began to feel big, splotty raindrops (the kind that indicate that it's fixin' to pour).

At approximately 13:45 of the run, the rain drops became more intense.

At approximately 14:00 of the run, I saw Gatsby and Brian rounding the corner at the top of the hill as it started pouring.

At exactly 14:33 of the run, we all took shelter in the garage of one of the unfinished houses on the other side of the neighborhood for about 15 minutes until the thunderstorm passed. (We saw some AWESOME lightning!!!) It was all very exciting.

After 15 minutes, we all set back out on respective paths to finish up our exercise and it was so nice now that it was so much cooler and we were all wet!! (Gatsby...not so happy with the wetness.)

So we all made it home safely and had something fun to laugh about! I completed my 2.03 miles in 22 minutes flat (10:49/mile), but I'm not considering that competitive since I took a 15 minute siesta 2/3 of the way through. However, previously, I had improved on last Thursday's time, so my best time right now is 22:59 (11:19/mile). Pretty cool stuff.

I think I've figured out why I like running so much. I am INCREDIBLY competitive and running is pretty much one of the only things you can do to compete against yourself without signing up to be on a sports team. It's so much fun to try and beat my best time!

My next step is to increase my distance, so I think I'm going to up my run to 2.25 miles. I'm trying to decide if I'm ready to start that August 1, or if I want to wait a bit longer. I don't want to do too much too quickly, but I don't want to slack off either...

---

Speaking of sports teams! Brian and I are going to play kickball with the Town of Knightdale!! They have a co-ed adult league and we've signed up to play. We have a couple of friends who are also going to play with us and it should be great fun. I can't wait!!! I'm sure there will be many exciting tales from our games...

I wonder if I should point out to my team, that I'm pretty much the crappiest athlete ever? I played basketball for 4 years in elementary school and my career scoring total was -2.

Yes, -2.

I only made it into the basket one time, the last game of my 6th grade season...unfortunately, it was the wrong basket! They were nice enough to count if for my team...I wonder if that's because my dad ran the basketball program? Surely not.

I also played soccer for 7 years in elementary school. I don't remember specifics, only that I was the shortest kid on the team, not very good, and got mowed down by this really tall boy one year. But, at least I enjoyed all the orange slices at half time.

I actually was sorta decent at cheerleading. Imagine...me being good at something that involves a lot of jumping and screaming?

OK, actually, I really wasn't that great, but I made the squad each year that I tried out and my squads got a lot of first places at the competitions. I was "Most Versatile" (aka, I didn't cry when they moved me to the back row) and "Most Energetic" (aka, loudest).

A *few* of the mementos from my illustrious athletic career:


Perhaps, I'll be more successful at kickball.

If I'm not, I'll always have my Most Valuable Ringer award from handbells my senior year of high school.

Too bad the jerks misspelled my name:


I wonder if we'll get kickball trophies?

---

In other news, I had an awesome weekend with Shannon and at Mandy's wedding. Shannon, her sister Jenny, and I went out to a dessert bar in uptown called Crave. It had phenomenal martinis and delicious food. We ate appetizers there for dinner. I had grilled chicken sliders with a mango chutney (delish!) and my dessert was cupcakes! A dark chocolate one and a ginger spice one with lemon icing. Of course, I was so full that I could only eat about three bites of each cupcake, but they were AWESOME.

Afterward, we went to bar called Blackfinn and danced for about 4 hours. It was SOOO much fun. The DJ was playing AWESOME music--recent stuff and great stuff from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. The only sucky thing is that some chick stepped on my toe in her stiletto and my toe is now all bruised and nasty looking. :-( At the bar, we actually ran into a kid that we went to high school with (come to think of it...I think he may have been on some of my elementary school soccer and basketball teams....)

Jenny, me, and Shannon @ Blackfinn:


Mandy was GORGEOUS at her wedding and came riding in on a horse drawn carriage. It was very lovely. It was SO great to see her. Everything was absolutely beautiful!

Harry Potter was good, but not the best one ever. Can't wait for the final two movies!

---

FINALLY, Brian is going to be on AM 680 (WPTF) Wednesday night (7/29) at 10 p.m. on the Tom Kearney Show answering caller questions about roads! Wake County and otherwise...if you have any burning ROAD! questions, be sure to call in!

No comments: