Monday, July 21, 2008

Ode to the Geeks

As I mentioned last week, Brian spent Saturday in Virginia looking at some road construction. He was in a group photo with the other guys that were with him, and, so now, I present y'all with

ROADGEEKS!


Helluva lively bunch there, eh?

He had a really fantastic time. They met with one of the site engineers and saw a PowerPoint about the project and then got explore it on foot. He had told me beforehand that after the meeting he was going to go explore some other areas (which I completely expected), so I wasn't surprised when he told me that he'd be home around 10:30 p.m. Truth-be-told, I love him to death, but Brian sucks at gauging time when it comes to roads he only knows by map. So, basically, when he tells you it will take 2 hours, you have to add an hour and a half to whatever he says. So, when he called me back later and told me that it was going to be like 11:30, I wasn't surprised. I was less surprised when he called me back a third time and told me that it was going to be about 12:30 a.m... So I pretty much chilled at home and did some organizing in the study and one of the upstairs rooms and watched Brokeback Mountain on BravoHD until he rolled in at 12:45 a.m. :-)

You might be thinking--what all did he do for all that time? My response: Hell, if I know! I just know that he went from Richmond to Raleigh by way of the Chesapeake Bay and Elizabeth City. Why he did this, though, is an easy answer. He was collecting counties...

...really.

He has a competition with all his friends about who can go to the most counties in the USA. He's been to 670 out of 3141. You might be asking yourself right now, what do 670 counties on a map look like? Well, how convenient: he has a map with them all colored in.



(If you click on the picture, you can get a much better image.)

So, there you have it.

After all that excitement on Saturday, it was hard for me to compete on Sunday. So, all I could offer was a trip to Lowe's to buy a weedwacker to knockdown the evil, Satan weeds that were attacking our yard. :-) We don't really have enough yard to mow yet, but we had lots of tall weeds that needed to be eliminated. Fortunately, my dear husband took no prisoners and made those weeds his bitch.

As your trusty Web reporter, I captured it on video (unbeknownst to him). He's rather intense, isn't he?



And, yes, I realize now that I invented a word in my narration (adding a few extra syllables to the word momentous).

2 comments:

Adam said...

You know you love us, Laura. :-p

Laura said...

I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't love y'all!!